The POWERHOUSE Loaf – (Best Gluten Free bread)
We have been mostly gluten free for the past 6 years and THIS bread is the BEST gluten free bread I have ever made!
It’s not only easy to make, but it is a functional food. Meaning it has health giving properties for the mind and the body, and I LOVE that for my family.
When we were forced to change our diet all those years ago because of illness, one of the best things we did was to give up supermarket bread.
Supermarket bread is usually made up of refined flours and additives, even the gluten free options are lacking in good quality nutrients, and not to mention FLAVOUR!
If your just starting your healthy eating journey, this loaf is the ideal place to start because it is packed with nutrients, and high in protein. If your well into your health journey, you will love the energy and nourishment this loaf adds to your day!
It is going to keep you fill, stabilise blood sugar levels and support the body to heal.
It does contain oats, and some people who can’t tolerate gluten also can’t tolerate oats because of the protein in oats called avenins, but for our family we are able to tolerate and thrive on oats, so I have included the high protein ingredient in this loaf. (If your looking for a gluten free bread, without oats let me know I’d be happy to share a recipe for you).
The Powerhouse Loaf Recipe
2 1/4 cups oats (gluten free)
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup chopped and toasted almonds
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp honey
2 heaped tablespoons of chia seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt
Note: (Firstly toast the nuts and seeds if you haven’t done this already. It’s tempting to skip it, but it’s well worth the extra 10 minutes because toasting brings out the flavour of the seeds and you will notice it when eating the bread. Pop the nuts into a fry pan and lightly toast for 5 minutes, then add the seeds and toast for a further 5 minutes).
- Pop the nuts and seeds into a large bowl and add the flour, salt and oil.
- Next add the water and stir in the honey.
- Mix to combine.
- Lastly add the chia seeds and stir well.
- Cover with a cloth and pop into the fridge for at least 3 hours. I make this at night and cook it first thing in the morning. Don’t skip this part because the chia seeds are going to soak up all that water.
- Time to bake that loaf!
- Preheat oven to 180 C, and oil a loaf tin. Pop the full mixture into the loaf tin, making sure that it’s pushed in well with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with a few extra seeds if you wish.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until well cooked and golden on the top.
- Let it sit in the loaf tin for around an hour, or until mostly cool before removing from the loaf tin. Then remove it from the tin and let cool completely on a rack.
- Letting the loaf cool will help it slice beautifully.
Enjoy! You can use a slice of this delicious bread to pop sandwich toppings on, or toast to have with peanut butter. Both ways are delicious. I stored our loaf in a brown paper bag and found it got even better through the week as it lost more moisture. If you enjoyed my best gluten free bread recipe, let me know!
Looking for a healthy sweet treat that’s free from refined sugar? Try my Apple Crumble Cookies – they are a big hit!